Sunday, May 27, 2012

But Also in Power

Well I suppose the proper thing to do for the first blog post is to explain the title.


But Also in Power


For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake. And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit, so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and Achaia, but your faith in God has gone forth everywhere, so that we need not say anything. For they themselves report concerning us the kind of reception we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.

1 Thessalonians 1:4-10



My entire life I have been powerless to do anything. I was tossed back and forth by the waves of circumstance, unable to hold on to the control that I so badly fought for. In fact, the harder I seemed to grope at it, the rougher the waves would grow, and I would be left sinking and bitter. It wasn't until I realized that this power was not mine to have that I was released from this struggle. The power is our LORD's.

But as His, we are given access to that power. That immeasurable power, the power that raised Christ from the dead, the power that created the laws of the universe and is willing to break them on our behalf dwells within His children. Now we have the privilege of taking that power to the nations. The gospel came to the Thessalonians not only in word, but in power - the power of His Spirit! So we now must take it not only in word and deed but in power of the Spirit.

Today I still find myself powerless to do anything significant on my own, including taking the gospel to others, but I am blessed to no longer be alone and blessed enough to be used by that power to do His work. That's exactly what I get to do this summer, and as I step of that plane to Santa Cruz tomorrow, I will be going in that power, in that Spirit, in His Spirit. For I am His, and will forever remain in Him - blessed and loved and alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment